If you’ve been following for awhile, you’ll know that we started a big kitchen restoration nearly two years ago. It was everything you might imagine comes with restoring a 120-year-old farmhouse. Part of that project involved retrofitting an old Round Oak Chief stove that’s possibly as old as our house. Today, the team over at Rory’s Metal Fabrication here on Bainbridge Island finished installing the final pieces.
It feels really good to get this far. We still have some refinements to do, but we can move on to lighting and trim. Hurray!
I was here all morning while the stove was being installed. I puttered around and organized messes (they are never ending), picked lilacs (they’re blooming!!!) and cleaned off our deck. By the time they left, it was past lunch time. I had to celebrate the stove retrofit finally getting all finished up and installed, so naturally I made huevos rancheros. Naturally.
If cheesy crispy tortillas smothered in beans, salsa, eggs sunny side up, and avocado sounds good, you too can whip these up in 7 mins….Maybe they’re calling to you for dinner?
- Fry two corn tortillas in butter till just crispy and brown in spots.
- Fry up two farm-fresh eggs sunny side up, or to order.
- Heat up some black beans and throw in some salsa or hot sauce (try my Basic Black Beans recipe, but with less salt because of all the salty cheese and salsa).
- Slice up some just ripe avocados, cilantro, and green onions.
- Grate cheddar and jack cheeses. (Skip or sub if non-dairy.)
- Layer it all up! I used a hot cast iron pan as my plate, but you can use any ol’ bowl or plate. Place one hot crispy tortilla on the base. Add some scoops of beans, about 3/4 cup. Top with cheese. Add the other hot tortilla. Top with cheese. Layer on your hot fried eggs. Top with salsa, green onions, cilantro, avocado slices, and salsa. Sour cream would be good here if you like that kind of thing. I added sriracha, because I cannot help how much I like sriracha.
Eat while piping hot.
Ket me know what you think. It felt like I needed to post some cheesy goodness after all my veggie platters.